Tuesday 17 December 2019

Jingle Gnomes!

Hello Everyone, I do hope all is well with you, but if not, I'm sending kind and healing thoughts that you will feel better soon.
There are some nasty bugs going around, but thankfully we are keeping clear of them so far.

We had a fabulous Carolthon on Saturday and raised £1,557, and still the choir sponsor forms and gift aid to come in over the next month. However we are £300 up on last year's Carolthon.  The Befriender's team were brilliant, and for me it was lovely to see some former clients who wanted to volunteer as they knew I would be singing. 

 The other lovely thing that happened was that I met another former client who I have not seen since I left work and have often wondered how he was getting along.  I had a real soft spot for this young man who had a horrendous childhood with sexual abuse that has left him so damaged and a self harmer, and who has tried many times to do away with himself, even to jumping of the Kessock Bridge.......to survive but pretty broken up.  To meet him on Saturday was like an early Christmas present, and to see him so well. In a lovely relationship of four years with his partner and his loving family. Alistair too had a soft spot for this guy and took him up mountains and fossil hunting, trying to give him good experiences. So Alistair was delighted to hear that he was still alive and doing well. Especially good as I know quite a few of the people who used our project have indeed died. and strangely enough, everyone of them have suffered from family sexual abuse.  Anyway, enough of this but it just made my heart glad.

I'm still making Christmas cards, not that they are needed this year, but this stamp I've been dying to use and the card is earmarked for a friend for next year;
This is a Whimsy stamp and I've coloured it with Copic markers. Now I've cased this card from one that the fabulous Faye Wynn-Jones of Stampin Fluffnstuff did a couple of months ago. Her colouring is outstanding. Unfortunately, I didn't have the same colours so did the best I could. I would love to go to one of her Copic colouring classes, but they are in Englandshire. The snowflake die was gifted from Mrs. Duck the other year so I don't know it's brand. I've matted on to glitter card and some papers from LOTV, and added a few clear gems.

I'm still recovering from my long day on Saturday, my knees were killing me by the end of the day, and my voice all but gone as, because of illness quite a few of our singers had to call off so I sang in three sessions, that was three hours phew!! It was all worth it though.

Thank you all for your lovely comments on my last post.
That's me for now, take care of yourselves and see you soon,

19 comments:

Rita said...

Oh my goodness Kate this card is so Beautiful. I can understand why you wanted to do your fantastic colouring on such a lovely image. Sorry to hear your poor legs are still aching after such a lot of standing. Lovely to hear a nice story for a change and no doubt in my mind that you and Alistair played a part in that young mans life. Thanks to you I too have enjoyed making some cards that will be a head start for next year. Hugs Rita xxxx

Linda Simpson said...

Gorgeous card, loving the bells and wonderful cute gnomes.
Hugs
Linda xxx

dutchess said...

That’s a gorgeous image Kate and you have done a super job with your colouring....my goodness an early start for next years cards.....
We have come back from the wedding with dreadful colds,not surprising really all the kids had bugs of one sort or another, so having a reall quiet day doing very little...hugs xxx

Marlene Atkinson said...

That's a gorgeous image, fabulous colours, I like Whimsy stamps they have so many different images. Marlene

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Kate, great colouring.
I'm so pleased that you managed to raise so much money at your Carolthon. How nice for you to meet some of your former clients and see that one of them is doing so well.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

So glad to hear the the Carolthon has gone so well and to know that heartbreak story of the young man that now is as reborn also with your caring!! Well done to you both!
Your card is so beautiful, such fabulous colouring on the bell!Great design, too!
Take care of your feet, now :)
Hugs

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Your card is beautiful, love how you have coloured the bells.

What a lovely meeting you had in your excellent Carolthon, raising so much money with wonderful singing and then to meet a survivor, must have filled both you and Alistair's heart, especially at this sad time for you.
Best Wishes
Faith x

meg said...

Congratulations on managing three sessions at the Carolthon Kate you must have been exhausted. A beautiful card love the image and your great colouring

aussie aNNie said...

LOVE this gorgeous Whimsy stamp, they are always so lovely and easy to colour. You have done a fabulous colouring job too, looks gorgeous.xx

Wendy L said...

Kate your card is lovely, a nice traditional one and good colouring. Love to hear about your sing along and meeting that young man. I don't know what your profession was, I presume in a care unit, but we'll done, you obviously made a difference to this man's life, xxxx

Flo Langley said...

Hi Kate, What a lovely post. You know it is always joy to visit your blog. Congratulations on raising so much money! Wow! What a great achievement. I am pleased that you met up with your friend and to find that he is doing so well in his life now. Gorgeous card. Love it!! Hope the knees are feeling better soon. Hugs Flo xx

Mrs A. said...

Gorgeous card. Those gnomes get everywhere. You do know that Faye is my Daughter! . She has tried to get classes running in Scotland but so far the take up has been poor as she needs minimum numbers to make the travelling worth her while. We had a super choir singing outside our local garden centre last weekend. They were good. Called themselves The Rock Choir and all the traditional carols had been given upbeat renditions. They had a mass of people standing and listening to them . We stopped for twenty minutes or so in the rain which shows how much we enjoyed it. Hugs Mrs A.

Hazel (Didos) said...

Ah this is super, what a cute stamp. Well Done on the carolthon!! Sounds like a fantastic day was had by all. Especially nice to see the lad you helped!! What an uplifting story helping him out like that!!! Love Hazelxx

Margarets designer cards said...

Gorgeous card and lovely image a real Christmas card

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Your card is lovely, with such nice and vibrant coloring! I am glad for you that you Carol athon went so well, with so much money raised. That is a neat story how you reconnected with a client who is now doing well. I imagine they were as tickled by the encounter as you were!

Mac Mable said...

I am playing catch up after my time away Kate and I have so enjoyed dipping into your blog. Many congratulations to you with the Carolthon. Such a heart rendering blog post and I am so glad the young man has made your heart glad.
A wonderful Christmas card and so very beauitufl x. I hope your knees recover soon x.

Di said...

What a lovely card Kate! And the outcome for the young man you speak of is so heartwarming. Tears in my eyes here!

I wondered if you knew that Faye is Mrs A's daughter but see she's already commented. She's a lovely girl, just as lovely as her Mum (who I'm great friends with) and as you say, very talented. But with no airs and graces. Such a shame Dies to Die For aren't running a class near you - but at least you wouldn't have the temptation of their pop-up shop which Tracey brings to the classes!

Hope you're doing OK now on the health side of things.

Wishing you and Alistair a peaceful Christmas and all things good in 2020.

Hugs

Di xx

Valerija said...

Amazing card, so cute and fun!
Valerija xx

Sue said...

You did an awesome job coloring up this sweet image. Loving the gnomes myself lately. Wonderful card, Kate, love it.

Hugs
Sue