Sunday 12 May 2019

Children at Christmas for CCC!

Hello Everyone, I hope all is well and a good weekend is happening for you.

Well, I was almost not here with this post as I thought it was next Sunday, that's pretty poor as I'm the hostess this time around, and if it hadn't been for Christine showing her card, I would have missed the date.

Anyway, as it's a theme of my choosing I thought I'd go with Children at Christmas, of course you can opt for Anything Goes, if that's better for you, here are my cards;
An upcycled card and added to navy card and an embossed background, the sentiment is one of my freebies. I thought this card was too lovely to toss, glad I kept it as it's perfect for the challenge as children make snowmen at Christmas.....if there is snow.

And of course children post their letters to Santa, although they could always be posting to their friends or favourite Auntie or Gran.   LOTV Art Pad topper for this one, with lots of added sparkle. Post box, robins and sentiment are all from Little Claire and coloured with Derwent Coloursoft Pencil.

Now something else that Children do at Christmas is the Nativity Play, I'm sure we've all been to one at some time or other. LOTV Art Pad again , paper is an old pad from LOTV too. Sentiment is another freebie, a little bow and gems.

I have a fabulous story and memory of a Nativity Play at my church many decades ago when I was in the church choir. The little ones had been practicing for ages and were good to go, the play was taking place in the church, and lovely scenery had been made and the children had brilliant costumes, much work having been put into them by mum, grannies, teachers, whoever. The little girl who was the Narrator was word perfect and I wouldn't be surprised if she went on to The Royal Shakespeare Company in later life. 
Anyway, the play got going with the Shepherds and Angels and the Wise Men, all so good and then we had the Inn Keeper, leaning out of his inn door and blowing the most huge bubbles with his bubblegum, and it going all over his face. There was some sotto  voce sounds coming from off the stage from a teacher, of course the Inn Keeper was ignoring her..as you do.
Then we had Mary and Joseph coming in looking for a place to stay, poor Mary was looking so tired and weary, and upon Joseph asking if there was any room at the inn and getting the response "there's nay room here, yes'll hevtogo to Edinburgh,"  We were in Musselburgh at the time, Mary, turned to Joseph and lassoed him with the set of rosary beads that she had been swinging as she walked on. The action was as good as any cowboy out on the range, and all this time shouting at poor Joseph " I telt ye te book earlier we would'ne get a room, yer nothin but a numpty. Well, poor Joseph was getting choked by this time as Mary was twisting the beads. Thankfully the teacher ran in and sorted out the situation, taking the bead away, but Mary was having none of it and punched Joseph in the face, whereupon he let out the biggest wail ever and started crying. Of course the whole play had to be abandoned. I have to say it's the best Nativity Play I'd ever been to lol.

Children are marvellous really, you just never know what's coming, and a rosary swinging Mary was was amazing, I believe she got a good spanking....these are the days when spanking still happened, but the memory of it all still entertains me to this day. I've often wondered what became of her, was she a psychopath in the making, her language was certainly I would say home learned, but who knows. But, what daft parent or teacher allowed her to have the rosary beads  as part of her costume has to take some of the blame. It was a pity the other children didn't get to shine in their roles, but there was cake, ice cream and jelly in the hall afterwards, so not all bad, and the grown ups fell about laughing at it all.

So I hope you enjoyed my story and I've not bored you with it, and if you've kept reading you understand my attempt at the vernacular  of Musselburgh dialect.

Please make sure you comment on my team mates cards, they are always fabulous, and thank you for the lovely comments on my last card, that's me for now, scheduling this post for tomorrow,
     

30 comments:

meg said...

Thank you for brightening up my morning with such an entertaining tale, that nativity play sounds as though it would have been fun to see, three amazing cards all so different in the way they portray the children.

Mrs A. said...

Oh Kate I am sat here with tears laughing so much at your brilliant telling of the nativity . So wish I had been there. Your cards are perfect. I I like the first card that you have recycled. Hugs Mrs A.

dutchess said...

Great memories Kate...and three lovely cards...all so different and perfect for the challenge....
Are you getting the reminder e mails I am sending out for the challenge?.....if not have I got the right e mail address ?...enjoy the rest of the weekend xxx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Fabulous and so sweet cards! Love so much them both!!

Christine Harrop said...

Oh Kate what a fabulous tale! Really made me laugh out loud. I bet the poor parents were mortified! Anyway, three fsabulous cards even if they were at short notice. Thanks for a great challenge this time. Hugs Christine xx

Sarn said...

Ha ha ha. . great nativity play story and fab dialect . . . I feel fluent in Scottish lingo now!!!!

Gorgeous cards . . .all of them. Xxx

gwen70 said...

3 wonderful cards, love the tale of the Nativity, as you say you never know with children. xx

Marianne's Craftroom said...

Great cards and what a funny story, I can picture it. Sorry not been visiting, been away on hols x

Wendy L said...

Wonderful story Kate, kids can be so funny and so horrendous too.
Gorgeous cards too xxxx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

What a fabulous Nativity story and memory, thanks for sharing it made me chuckle.
A great set of cards and fabulous theme this time.
Lorraine

Marlene Atkinson said...

These are fabulous Christmas cards. Marlene

Margarets designer cards said...

Three wonderful Christmas cards I don’t know which one I like the most so I can say I like them all, gorgeous images and designs

Mia said...

Great story, Kate. I really enjoyed it. And I lllllove your Christmas cards!!! Have a great day, my dear friend.

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Your cards are lovely, and your story is absolutely hilarious! Too bad you don’t know what happened to Mary. I am really interested, too!

Elizabeth said...

Oh Kate, I really enjoyed that story - hilarious. You got the accent down to a 't' too - my mother came from Musselburgh! Your cards are beautiful too. It would have, indeed, been a shame to toss that card - it's perfect for the theme, as are the images you've used for the other two cards. Got to agree with you that LotV images make beautiful cards. Elizabeth xx

Linda Simpson said...

These are gorgeous Kate, love the beautiful designs on each card.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I was going to rave about how wonderful your cards are, then read further on and fell about laughing, yes! those were the days. As a child I had a few lines in the Nativity - "Hark I hear the bells ringing" I forgot it and had to be prompted, I have never forgotten them, that's over 65 years ago. I've never been on the stage to act again, although have done some public speaking!
Thanks for the laugh and the memories KAte.
Faith x

Mac Mable said...

Adorable cards, all three of them. Great re-cycling on the first, fabulous 3D card on the second and what a wonderful scene on the third x.
Loved the story of the nativity and the Scottish phrasing x Great memories for you x

cotnob said...

Fabulous cards Kate, such a lovely scene on your first card - I can see why you decided to up-cycle it.
A brilliant story, certainly a bit different from most nativity plays!
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

MiamiKel said...

Oh My goondess, Kate - I am howling with such fun from your nativity tale! This is just super fun and a terrific memory - I can see why it's one of your favorites! And your cards are just fabulous - how creative you are! xx

Jannet said...

A brilliant story Kate : ) and wonderful cards featuring children xx

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, what a fun story!! Totally made me smile!! All of the cards are beautiful, too!! I love the scenes on each one!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Pink Rose said...

Hi Kate 3 gorgeous xmas cards such beautiful work,well done my friend xx

Valerija said...

Beautiful cards with children at Christams. Love all images.
Valerija xx

aussie aNNie said...

Gorgeous cards Kate, full of fun. Loved your little 'story' too, hope you are well.xx

Diane said...

Wonderful memories and card designs Kate, thanks for sharing them.

Hugs Diane

Sue said...

Kate all three of your Christmas cards with children are wonderful! Loved the story, you never know what you will get when dealing with young children or what they will do or say!! Our daughter is a kindergarten teacher and I cannot believe some of the things they tell her or say now days!! Fun story though.

Hugs
Sue

Zoe Tant said...

Fabulous cards Kate and such super scenes. I love them all. Thanks for the story too! There's nothing like a Nativity to bring children's imagination to the fore and make us all smile. Zoe x

Granmargaret said...

Lovely cards. Thank you for the fun story.

Pat said...

Three gorgeous Christmas makes Kate, and love your nativity play story. Children can be so unpredictable on stage but this sounds like the ultimate problem play..lol. I can remember our son appearing in several school plays in his early years where children ended up in front of the curtain instead of behind it and also lots of children waving and pointing at inappropriate times...lol. x