Sunday 23 September 2018

Madam Butterfly..One Fine Day!

Hello Everyone, I hope you are well and enjoying your weekend. 
We are a bit chilly up here and some rain, but there's supposed to be a high coming in and Alistair and a couple of "the boys" are off tomorrow for a few days, doing their men stuff. Yeah! I hope the weather does indeed hold for them, I always feel a bit cheated when they come home early as the weather has been awful.
I've nothing much planned, choral practice tomorrow night and I might indulge in a wee bit of shopping in town and a cuppa at Costa.

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments on my last card and for the suggestions regarding the moderating thing. I've given pressed buttons so I've no idea if I've done it correctly, but if  I have no comments I'll know I've not.

So on to my new card, it's another Aurora Wings Lady and it was the first one I ever bought and I love it;
I believe her name is Miyabe and I've coloured once again with watercolours and some silver gel pen.
The background paper is from the Oriental Treasures pad from Papermainia. I found some little stickon butterflies which I've had for years and felt they were just perfect for the card. My lovely friend Mrs. Duck gave me a bunch of these lovely metal embellishments,again perfect as I thought they had an oriental look. A few pearls and some silver bakers twine from SU and I felt it was done.

Now I'm entering my card in to the Aurora Wings Challenge which is about music and one of my favourite pieces of music, well it's Puccini opera is Madam Butterfly. I've chosen the One Fine Day piece whilst Butterfly is still happy and so in love.. Yes she is eventually  betrayed by her American  Navy Lieutenant lover Pinkerton and has a tragic ending, as most of Puccini's operas do.

I have a wonderful memory of being at this opera many years ago when I lived in Edinburgh and took a friend along with me to see it. My friend had never been to an opera before and she was keen to go along, I didn't tell her too much about it as I didn't want to spoil the story for her.
Anyway, we met up after work, and my friend Pat at that time owned a little newsagent shop and had been up from the crack of dawn... therefore she was tired. Pat dosed off during the first half of the performance and was given a few nudges when the snoring started, but I thought a G&T at the interval would waken her up a bit.  So, we are now into the second half of the performance and she is absolutely loving it, no dosing off this time around, she is caught up in the story, tears streaming down her face and at the moment when Butterfly is about to end her life, Pat shouts out "dinne  de it hen... the bast..d no worth it!" Well at this point, the folk in front of us are turning round, people were saying shhhh and all of that, I'm sliding down in my seat totally embarrassed wishing the floor would open up, and Pat never daunted by it all, turned to me and kept saying  how awful and that's men  for you.  Anyhow the opera came to an end, Butterfly having not taken Pat's advice.. if she heard and we made a getaway to the nearest bar.  My friend, absolutely loved the whole experience, didn't know anything so beautiful could be so sad, and apologised for getting carried away. But, you know when you think about it what a marvellous way to show appreciation of the work when you get so lost in that you let your feelings out.  I always think about this night when I listen to this operatic work.

So, that's me for now, off to link this up with the challenge blog, and see to our dinner, haggis, neeps and tatties tonight..we love out gourmet food lol!
Enjoy what's left of the weekend and I'll see you soon,
I would like to enter my card into;   https://aurorawingschallenge.blogspot.com/2018/09/challenge-71-inspired-by-music.html

27 comments:

meg said...

beautiful colouring on your image Kate, she's stunning, love your tale about your friends reaction to the story line, she was obviously wtapped up in it and enjoying it immensely.

brenda said...

It's the most beautiful image Kate and nice reading your memories, I also love opera but Verdi is my thing and a couple of years ago was fortunate enough to see Aida at Glyndebourne - with my dentist!! All came about by accident when we discovered we both loved the same opera and he had friends in the right places

B x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Amazing card, Kate, love how you given a perfect oriental look to your design to compliment the beautiful lady! Fabulous colouring,too!

rachel said...

oh my Kate - what a wonderful card and what a fabulous tale too. Your friend has certainly made you a wonderful memory! Still chuckling as I write this! Hugs rachel x

scrappymo! said...

Thank you for sharing that hilarious story of your friends outburst! She kust have really loved the performance!

Your card is beautiful. I hope you win that challenge!

The metal accent does indeed suit your card and the additionof the butterfly so suits your inspiration.

Perhaps I had a cup of coffee at that exact Costa you mentioned as i waited for Al at the Costa in town, while he went for a brisker walk about that I could not manage.

pam said...

Stunning card Kate, such a beautiful image.
Pam x

Mac Mable said...

Such a beautiful card and such an amazing image. Such pretty colours and loving the butterfly and metal embellishment too x. Hope DH gets good weather and had a chuckle about you and your friend at The Edinburgh Opera x

Marlene Atkinson said...

A gorgeous card, gorgeous image and colours. Marlene

Mia said...

So you love opera, Kate? Oh, me too, my friend.
Your Madam Butterfly is awesome! Great background paper and beautiful design. Kisses!!!!!

aussie aNNie said...

WOWOW YOUR SURE rocking these images in such a gorgeous way. Love this one and your sensational colouring.xx

Wendy L said...

Loved your Opera night tale Kate, quite funny.
Lovely card leading to a lovely tale, xxxx

Flo Langley said...

Aww! Great story Kate. Beautiful card. I am really drawn to the oriental theme at the moment. Inspiring as always.
Hugs Flo xx

dutchess said...

Beautiful card Kate...these aurora wings images are gorgeous....cold and clear here today so putting the washing on and crossing my finger for a drying day.....xxxxx

DIMI said...

Good morning dear Kate!
I really enjoyed reading your story! Yes...i love opera too!
Wow!Such a fabulous card!! Love the background paper and the gorgeous image!
You did a great work decorating the card with the butterflies and the metal embellishments!
Well done! Wishing you a lovely day and a happy week!xxx
Dimi...

Jannet said...

Another elegant card Kate! Your colouring is brilliant as always, the addition of the little butterflies finish it all off perfectly.ihave never seen an opera I don’t think Les Mis on stage counts does it ! Take care xx

Sue said...

Kate nobody tells a tale like you do, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your friend Pat's adventures at the Opera. My parents had a player piano and we had a piano role with the song that went Poor Butterfly beneath the blossoms waiting.......I loved that song but it was very sad.

Your card is lovely. The image is beautiful and the background paper is perfect. So very pretty. I have a drawer full of oriently stamps from when that fade went through, should get some of them out and use them........

Hugs
Sue

Marianne's Craftroom said...

What a beautiful image and lovely colour scheme

DonnaMundinger said...

Oh, she's just lovely, Kate but I have to say I can't stop giggling at your memory of your friend's first experience at the opera. Glad she was moved by the story, though. Perfect image for the beautiful "Madame Butterfly" as are your papers and embellies. Thank you so much for joining our "Inspired by Music" challenge at Aurora Wings. xxD

Águeda said...

Qué elegante!!!
Felicidades por ello.
Besos y feliz semana

Dawn Sirdefield said...

I absolutely love your colouring of this gorgeous AW image. I have to be honest though and say the beautiful card has been completely overshadowed by the hilarious recollection of your friend's visit to the Opera! Gave me quite a giggle that did, brilliant. Thanks for sharing your creation with us in our Inspired by Music challenge. Good luck.
Dawn DT xxx

Cristina said...

Hola Kate! Creaste una hermosa tarjeta con una imagen oriental que me ha encantado y la coloreaste con unos tonos muy alegres que me han gustado mucho! Imagino que los días de frío y lluvia es muy agradable pasar el rato con las acuarelas, te ha quedado un trabajo muy bonito!
Me ha gustado leer aquella experiencia en la ópera, es inevitable emocionarse con obras tan grandes!
Un beso!

cotnob said...

Such a pretty card Kate, a beautiful image and lovely papers.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Jennifer Johnston said...

Hi there Kate, what a gorgeous card and so beautifully coloured. The background paper is just perfect for the image. The pretty butterflies just add to the card. Really enjoyed reading about your memories, you can certainly tell a good tale Kate.
Love & Hugs Jennifer xx.

Karen Petitt said...

Oh Kate you really did make me laugh out loud and I just had to explain to Steve why I was laughing like that lol! I can totally relate to your friend Pat even though I've never been to the opera.
Many years ago Steve's mum paid for us all to go to the ballet in London, it was my first time, the Bolshoi up around Leicester Square.
I got so caught up in the story that at the end of the ballet I was sobbing my heart out as the lead was killed, my goodness Steve and his mum were so concerned as they had never seen me like that. It just goes to show what a good show can do though doesn't it?! I'd love to see more ballets and maybe an opera or two too lol!
I love, love, love this card Kate, she is a real beauty xx

Birgit said...

I had to find out about your story and that is too funny! You are right, she got right into it and I think this is a great because she was overwhelmed by the story and showed her true feelings besides, I agree with her sentiment. A man is just not worth it and he’s a jerk. I love your card and the beautiful colours your used which works so well with the silver.

Anet's Crafting said...

Your card is just beautiful Kate. Love the pretty layout and designer papers. Hugs Anet x

MRS DUCK said...

Hi Kate
Well, I am sitting here with tears of laughter and have even read out the post to Mr D, whilst not impressed by my Scottish accent, did have a chuckle too lol!!!
Never been to an opera but did go to the ballet on a school trip, which did not bode well for the male dancers with a bunch of hormonal teenage girls in the audience. I'll say no more.
The card is smashing and yes, those embellishments do look oriental.
Ang x