Monday 14 August 2017

All about inking!

Hello to you All, I would like to say on this bright and sunny morning, but I can't as it's perssssisting  down with rain, and so dull. I hope it's better where you are. The weekend too wasn't all that great weather wise either.

Hoping you are well and enjoyed your weekend, we were quiet, but that's OK, sometimes it needs to be slow and easy, I caught up with a few things around the house and got a wee bit of crafting done, which included finishing a sock.

Alistair made two apple pies with our own apples, it was his first time of pie making and as usual having no patience he wanted to get stuck right in. He went off to buy pastry, and thankfully he bought the ready rolled out stuff, meantime I was looking for my pie dish, and trying to remember how to make an apple pie and blind bake the bottom pastry.  Anyway we muddled through, even although it was a bit of the blind leading the blind. and although they wouldn't have won any prizes at the WI they tasted okay.  They pastry was a bit over done and a little more sugar could have been added. He wanted to give our neighbour one of the pies and they enjoyed it and have put in an order for one a week lol.  So next pie will be better thought out with a recipe to follow, although he's mentioned that he wants to make his own pastry......puff this time. I pointed out that even the celebrity chefs buy the ready made stuff, and no way I'm getting involved in puff pastry making.

Here  is my card share today. I've stamped the fabulous Leafy Background stamp form Chocolate Baroque and embossed it in WOW Copper Powder, used DI in various colours with my Ink Dusters. This was matted on to CE Midnight Blue card.  The floral stamp is one from the Seasons range by John Next Door, and it's from the Spring Flower set. Lovely little stamp. For it's background I used Oxides, I just love them. I used Lesley's technique of putting three colours on to a stamping block and pressed my card into the ink after having given them a little spray with water. I loved the effect as the grids on the stamping block made their impression and I thought it added a little something totally unintentional. Cut it out with a SP die and mounted it up, some Just Pearls in Copper and that's that.

I'm pleased enough of it to enter it in to a couple of challenges, which I will add at the end of the post.

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments on my last card, I do appreciate each and everyone of them.

Well, the rain's gotten heavier, I'm not stirring out until I give Alistair a lift to his fiddle lesson this evening before I go off to choral practise. I'm going to take a leaf out of Teallach's book and curl up on the sofa, with my latest book.......not that Teallach has a book of course lol.
I really like Alex Grey who is a Scottish Author and writes crime fiction based in Glasgow and whose Detective is DCI Lorrimar of Strathclyde Police. He's a bit of a maverick like his contempory Inspector Rebus from Edinburgh... from the Ian Rankin novels.  Anyway, that's my afternoon.

Take care everyone and see you all soon,
I would like to enter this card into the following challenges;

30 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful background Kate, love those gorgeous colours and your stamp is adorable. HOpe it stops peeeeing down with rain so you can enjoy your day....night from down unda..xxx [aNNie]

Dortesjs said...

Fabulous leafy Background i do love this. great card ;O)

Pat said...

This is a very pretty background and I love the silhouette flowers over the top and the black background shows it off perfectly Kate. x

meg said...

Fabulous card Kate, the background colours bend together beautifully as do the colours behind the stamped image. Haven't read any Alex Grey but am always on the lookout for new authors, love Stuart McBride's books so the prospect of reading more detective novels really appeals, as I am only on the second book from the Outlander Series it could be some time before I try him.

Linda Simpson said...

Sounds like you had a good weekend and glad to hear that the apple pies turned out okay. A gorgeous card, love the colours and stamps. I hope you enjoyed your reading.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Mrs A. said...

I love all the different techniques you have combined on this card. If Alistair is into a do it of batch baking can I put an order in! Lol. Hugs Mrs A.

Christine Harrop said...

Fabulous background on your card Kate and a pretty stamp. Hugs Christine xx

Mac Mable said...

Great read of your post and to find out what you've been up to x The pie sounds great! The background technique on the die cut oval looks great with the added interest of the girds and love the stamping on the main background and embossed in the copper. 'Keep Dry' x

Cara said...

Love the two different but complementary backgrounds you created on this pretty card. I wouldn't bother with puff pastry either, rough puff maybe if I really had to! Not made any fruit pies for ages, my Nana taught me to put a good sprinkling of cornflour on the base before adding the fruit to soak up and thicken the juices preventing the dreaded soggy bottom. Talking of which, I hope you didn't get too soggy on your travels to your rehearsals!

rachel said...

Lovely card Kate the colours are beautiful! Love the last few cards too - sorry not to have commented but i have looked!!! Big hugs rachel xx

Viv said...

Such great stamping here Kate! just love your pretty flowers and clever framing. Thank you for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge' and we hope to see you again soon ;) Viv DT xx

Lorraine said...

A very pretty card Kate, love the background you've created, gorgeous colours
Lorraine x

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Kate, your leafy background is beautiful and such a great technique to create the base for your focal image - I will have to give that a try.
I'm with your on the puff pastry - just not worth the effort when you can buy it!
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Marlene Atkinson said...

a very pretty background and colours. Marlene

pam said...

Beautiful card design Kate, lovely inky background, with great stamping.
Pam x

Sue said...

Owww, the Oxide inks made such beautiful background on your card, Kate. The oval with completely different color background inks looks fabulous too.
Need to play more with mine, but loving what I have done with them too.

Hugs
Sue

Anne said...

This is lovely Kate, I have the oxides and am keen to try some backgrounds when I get chance.
A quiet weekend is good sometimes, just nice to potter about, I picked my first blackberries so I've been making crumble, I think it's going to be a good year for them but they need a bit more sun for ripening. I love to cook but do always buy puff pastry, Alistair is being very adventurous!!
Anne s

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Well done to Alistair on the pie making. My Daughter has apple and plum trees in her garden and we've already started enjoying them too. The Victoria plums are delicious and my three year old Granddaughter loves to collect them each day. We then have to think of different ways to use them as it's such a shame to let them go to waste. We made an apple crumble last week and the little one loved it. I figured that would be an easy thing for her to make and she was so pleased with herself when it was finished. I've gone off on one here Kate as I'd actually popped over to comment on your beautiful card :) I love the beautiful rainbow colours that you've used and the stamps look just lovely. I have to say that I've really been enjoying your recent Chocolate Baroque posts, so keep up the good work. Take care of yourself and enjoy the rest of the week. Crafty hugs, Sandra x

Mia said...

What a beautiful card, Kate. The background is adorable! I love the little oval frame with the flowers. Have a nice week, my friend.

MRS DUCK said...

Hi Kate
Beautiful card and lovely background.
Well, go Alistair Blumental! Shortcrust pastry is very quick and easy, especially in the food processor but puff....... done it a couple of times and never again lol! Not good for someone impatient either.
Pastry, something else I love but can't have, boo hoo!
Ang x

Valerija said...

Fabulous card Kate, love the colours and the image.
Valerija xx

Sarn said...

What a beautiful card Kate.
Good on ya for having a rest on the settee while it persisted down!

Hoping you have brighter weather today.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
beautiful inking technique, and such gorgeous colours.
Your stamed images are brilliant and so wonderful.
Hope your weather has improved.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Diane said...

Beautiful background colors and design Kate.

Hugs Diane

Unknown said...

What brilliant inking! Looks so fab and effective!x

Jennifer Johnston said...

Hi Kate, what a beautiful card, I just love your background, lovely colours. The main image just pops with the dark oval matt. A very pretty image. Hope you enjoyed your book. We have had fine weather here today. Hope the weather changes for the better where you are.
Hugs Jennifer xx.

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Very beautiful background(s) on your design, I really like how you used the trailing branch bold background stamp. Take good care, Shirleyxx ps.. it's raining here this afternoon as well, it was lovely this morning....

Jules said...

Hi Kate

I should think you are pleased with your card .. .. it is gorgeous! Your background is stunning.

You have me fancying a slice of apple pie now! I must admit I have never made puff pasty ever!

Have a lovely weekend .. .. with better weather this time hopefully!

Love Jules xx

UplayOnline said...

I hope you didn't get too soggy on your travels to your rehearsals!


ดูหนัง

Yvonne Garner said...

I can see why you are pleased with your card! It's a beauty. Thank you for sharing your card with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenge.